Softball Queensland were thrilled to officially present Ron Yardley with his Life Membership at the Open Women’s State Championship Closing Ceremony over the weekend.
At the 2018 Softball Queensland Annual General Meeting, the members elected three Life Members. For a person to be elected as a Life Member of SQI they must meet the minimum criteria of no less than 10 consecutive years of distinguished and meritorious service to Softball at the State level. In 2018, Valerie Cross, Lexie Pearce and Ron Yardley were awarded this honour.
At the time of his election as a SQI Life Member Ron had given the following service to Softball Queensland.
- Ron has been a Queensland Administrator for 18 consecutive years. First as a member of the Events Committee and then from 2001/02 to April this year, as a member of the Umpiring Technical Directorate, where his primary portfolio was State Championships. In 2014, Ron was also a SQI Awards sub-committee member.
- His contribution as an Umpire Assessor at State Championships spans 22 appointments over 16 years from the Under 14’s & 15’s to the Under 16 & 17’s.
- Ron has held official positions at the Softball Queensland Masters Tournament for 16 years. He was Umpire In Chief 5 years (2002 – 2006) and Deputy UIC 11 years (2007 – 2017)
- Ron also was appointed as an umpire to the 2010 Southern Cross Challenge.
- He attained his Level 4 Umpiring Accreditation in 2007 and Level 5 in 2009.
- Ron has previously received a SQI 10 year Service Award in 2005, a Softball Australia Service Award in 2006 and in 2015 a SQI Platinum Service Award recognising his volunteer service at all levels of the game from club to national for 20 years