About Regional Academies
Softball QLD Regional Academy Program Mission
Softball Queensland, through the Regional Academy Program, will support athletes and coaches in their pursuit of excellence in the sport of softball through the provision of:
- A program to identify, promote and support the development of 12 to 18 year old talented athletes by adopting and utilizing the Long Term Athlete Development (LTAD) philosophy through a state-wide Regional Academy Structure.
- Effective coaching pathways through the National Coaching Accreditation Scheme and Softball Queensland education and development programs from club coaching to head coach of Queensland open teams.
Goals of Regional Academy Program
- To educate the Softball Queensland community on the knowledge and skills required to be selected as a coach or athlete in Queensland Representative Teams.
- To have appropriately trained and skilled athletes from which to select the Queensland Teams to compete in the National Championships and other high level events.
- To have coaches with the appropriate knowledge, communication and management skills to coach the Regional Academy Program, District Association Representative Teams and Queensland Representative Teams.
Softball Queensland Coaching Technical Directorate will oversee the implementation and management of the Regional Academies throughout Queensland.
Softball QLD Regional Academy Locations
|North West||Mt Isa|
|Wide Bay||Bundaberg, Hervey Bay, Maryborough|
|North Coast||Noosa, Suncoast-Hinterland, Caboolture|
|South Coast||Wynnum, Logan City|
All Regional Academy processes need to be overseen by a Regional Academy Committee (RAC) consisting of one representative from each District Association, the Regional Academy Administrator and the Regional Academy Head Coach.
Role of the Regional Academies
The principle role of each Regional Academy will be:
- To facilitate the development of talented softball players 12 to 18 years.
- To encourage and support a holistic approach to athlete development.
- To provide these athletes with access to specialist support services including coaching and sports science.
- To provide opportunities for the development of coaches (including specialists), statisticians and umpires.
Players selected into the Regional Academies can then be considered for selection at the U15 State Championships in the QLD Regional Academy teams. These teams will participate in the Australian Regional Championships in Janaury each year.
See below for the current QLD Regional Academy Teams